UI doesn’t get much poorer than this.
Today I discovered this “Activity Sharing” settings page on my Yahoo! account.
It’s not clear to me what it does… this is what Yahoo! says:
Manage your updates
Toggle sharing of your Yahoo! Updates to Facebook and Twitter
Control where your activity should be shared
There are all kinds of wrong about this.
- Some kind of “activity sharing” management page
- Managing “updates” too. Or are “updates” the same as “activity”?
- “Toggle” share “updates to Facebook and Twitter”
- But “where you share” is on a different page altogether: Connected Accounts (helpfully linked)
- And if you’re looking for “activity” that is related somehow to “Yahoo! News,” you’re also in the wrong place. That kind of “activity” is apparently on a different “Activity settings” page (stupidly not linked).
- And finally, the actual instruction to the user for this page:
“Control where your activity should be shared”
“Control”? – “Toggle”? – “Manage”?
“Where” you “Share”? (but not what you share)
“Activity” – “Updates”?
But not Yahoo! News “activity”.
OMFG this is bad.
These descriptions of the purpose of this page are so contradictory as to be completely useless.
- “Customize “Where you share” — ??? Wait, the headline is about sharing on Facebook and Twitter. One would think the “Where” is Facebook or Twitter. Right? But no. There is nothing about FB or Twitter.
- How much more confusing and contradictory can this be:
- NOWHERE on the page is there ANY information about my Facebook or Twitter accounts. No “connect with” or “disconnect with” or “you’re Facebook/Twitter accounts are/are not connected.” It’s a total vacuum of information. YET – “Toggle sharing… to FB and Twitter” is the headline.
- “Customize where you share” is on a different page. “Control where you share” is on this page. Huh?
- Except sharing your Yahoo! News activity. It’s on neither of those pages. It has it’s own page (without a link).
Someone should be sacked.
BUT THAT’S NOT ALL. The UI just takes the cake.
This is what the “customization” controls look like (and there are 270 of these):
What does this mean?
- Am I sharing my “activity” on my “Account Link”? What is an “Account Link” and how could something (my activity) be shared there?
- What IS my “activity”?
- What about “Account Services”? Am I already sharing my activity there? And what does “(rating)” mean?
Tool tips anyone?? Check this out:
So, “Control where your activity should be shared” is “Share this on Yahoo!”?
Is is just me or is this completely confusing? I thought I was deciding whether to share my activity on this thing called Account Link.
This tool tip clears that right up.
I am actually deciding to share my Account Link on Yahoo!
Got it? Or maybe English should be my second language?
Right!! One is “Share this on Yahoo!” and the other is “Share this on Yahoo!”
There are 270 settings for “places where my activity can be shared”!! … and no “select all” feature.
To change them, one has to scroll through 27 pages of entries.
Oh Yahoo! What to do with you.